An Important Lesson from Shane Koyczan, "To This Day"

I am so lucky to work with an amazing group of middle school students.  I learn something new everyday.  Yesterday, a student came to me and wanted to show me this youtube video, To This Day, based on the poem by Shane Koyczan.  She explained to me that this was a video that she believed every student in our school could relate to, whether they've bullied, been bullied, struggle with mental illness, or are victims of abuse.  She's right.  This video captures it all.  Not only does this artfully crafted video of the poem "To This Day" capture the feelings of those who have felt the "underdog", it also invoked in me feelings of empathy, gratitude, sadness, and left me feeling empowered to continue finding one thing I can do each day to make our world a little bit kinder for everyone in it.  This video reminds us that everyone has inner beauty and they need to keep finding the "mirror" that works to show them that beauty.  It reminded me that I have that inner beauty as well and that this girl sitting at my computer yesterday sharing this video is a beautiful person.  She often doesn't see herself that way and each day can be a struggle for her.  However, yesterday, her beauty showed through as she sat in front of me sharing a video that might help me understand her better as well as her peers who find it a challenege to face the day at times as well.  This girl is going to leave her mark on our school.  This girl is already a change agent.  I can't wait to watch her fly with this important lesson you will see in this video.   Watch it, embrace it, feel it, and find one way you can help someone; a child, a sibling, a parent, a friend, a stranger recognize their inner beauty.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a Perfect World, would fate lead us to our one true love?

Taking Care of Mommy

Already finding imperfections with my blogging skills!!