A Step Closer to Home....

Everyone said, "It's new construction, you never know what will come up.  You might not be able to move in by August 15th".  Well, in July, that didn't seem so bad. I got an awesome place!  I could wait if I had to, but I wouldn't have to...would I?  Well, it is now August 25th.  Ten days have passed since August 15th, MOVE IN day and I am not moved in.

Okay, it's an imperfect move.  No big deal though, right?  I am only starting back to work TOMORROW and Jack is only transitioning to a NEW Daycare and Preschool also TOMORROW, but no big deal.  Well, of course it is a big deal.  I hadn't planned on being a vagabond living out of my car for a week all the while trying to keep things "normal" for my 4 year old who doesn't always deal well with change (he gets this from me).

So here we are on the eve of "Back to School" living out of suitcases at an Inn, a nice Inn, but an Inn.  We arrived today at the Inn around 1pm.  We checked in, got our keys and I was told there was a luggage carrier at the end of the hall if I needed it.  IF I needed it?  Of course I needed it!  I have two suitcases, one for Jack's wardrobe, one for mine, roughly 25 hangers with dresses, sweaters, and such, a bag of just toiletries, and a laundry basket of shoes.  All in my car.  Do I need a luggage carrier?  Of course I do, but where's the guy in the suit who helps me carry it in and takes a tip?  He must have the day off.  It's me and Jack and one wobbly luggage carrier.

We make the first trip up okay with only one crushed Lego box, a short meltdown, and one tipped over bag with the zipper undone.  We made it though!  Hotel living starts seeming great as we unpack and Jack settles in with his toys.  Late afternoon comes and I decide we should get some groceries since we are lucky to have a kitchenette in our room, suite actually.

Off to Walmart we go for school supplies and groceries.  We leave Walmart with ten bags with all the things we must have for our hotel;)   We drive back to the hotel so I can cook us dinner.  We just need to figure out how to get all of our bags up to the 3rd floor in one trip.  Solution is easy.  The luggage carrier of course.  Off we go to retrieve the carrier.  We load it up with our bags and I start wheeling groceries and Jack back up to the Inn.  No problem whatsoever.  We turn the carrier around, make our way by the window of the function room full of people and start up the ramp to the door that will lead up to the elevator that we will take to the 3rd floor.

This trip was not as smooth as trip number one.  As we make our way to the ramp, it's one bag overboard, then another, then one more, and there goes the roll of paper towels down the small hill into the flower garden.  Big sigh.  I start to collect my things and actually find myself crawling under the fence and into the garden to retrieve my roll of paper towels, 2 paper plates, and 3 plastic forks.  I try hard to block from my mind the large number of people that stand behind the beautiful big window at the front of the inn that this lovely flower garden littered with my plastic forks and paper towels sits adjacent to. I gather my fallen things and it is onward to room 303.

Okay, Jack and I can handle this.  He's in charge of doors and elevator buttons.  I am in charge of wheeling the cart with our ten bags of groceries and slinging two other bags over my shoulder. Somehow we make it to the 3rd floor and into our room with all of our things only to realize I brought up the black sandals when I really wanted my brown sandals for tomorrow.  However, there is no way I am going to walk Jack and I back down to the parking lot, especially for risk of running into the event goers that  surely got a laugh when the paper towel roll went down the hill.

So hotel living will take some getting used to for both of us.  I haven't even gotten into the rather loud and vocal meltdown tonight all because Jack didn't have his bath toys.  I'll spare you those details.  Unfortunately, our neighbors' were not so lucky.

All in all, we've had a good first nigh here.  Regardless, it's one more imperfect step towards moving into our home:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a Perfect World, would fate lead us to our one true love?

Taking Care of Mommy

Already finding imperfections with my blogging skills!!