Pushing Yourself to the Limit

As I pull myself out of bed this morning, I take my time.  I  move my legs slowly off the bed and hold onto the bedpost as I stand up, ready to wince as my feet hit the floor and I go to take my first step.  But, there is no pain.  Today I wake up feeling only wonder at what our minds and bodies are capable of.  The limits they can be pushed.  And when you do push your mind and body, the accomplishments you achieve are endless.

In three weeks, I will run my 3rd marathon.  Yesterday, I ran my 20 miles and I kid you not that I thought I might die a few times along the way.  In fact about 2 miles until the end, 18 miles into it I thought for sure I'd have to sign up for the half marathon instead of the full.  I was dehydrated, out of water, and sore from my neck down to my second toe that kept jamming against the front of my sneaker.  Sneakers I purposely buy a size and a half larger my normal size.

As my friend and I began the last 5 mile trek of our long run, I said, "Okay, we're more than half way done. We can do this, it will be really hard, but we'll make it."  Onward.  I was right. Parts of these last 5 miles were excruciating.  The hot sun pounding on my face.  Every muscle in my body tightening up.  My lips dry.  My water bottles running on empty.  At times, I had to walk, my legs wouldn't pick themselves up into a stride.  But each time I walked, I set a goal to start running again.  And it hurt.  Walk to run, run to walk, they both hurt in their own way.  But I kept going and I kept going.

Not only did I work my body to the core, but also my mind.  I started out strong in my thinking, psyched to conquer my 20.  As I was finishing the first 10, I thought...maybe I didn't eat right this morning?  Why this cramp in my side?  Am I going to make it?  I just want to stop, BUT no:) I've done this before.  I can do this again.  I will feel good when I finish. Running a marathon truly requires mind/ body connection.  You have to believe in yourself, you have to be able to refocus yourself.  If I think about the hill at the end of my run, my pace immediately slows.  If I remind myself to be in the moment, in the here and now, and mindful of what is around me at that moment, my pace picks up again. 

This is what I love about running long distance.  I'm able to connect my mind and my body.  I am able to let my head go when I want to and not have a care in the world.  Or I can get into my head when I need to refocus, get back on my game.  I work out the worries of my week when I am at about mile 8.  The best part is it is my run.  I do not need to compete with anyone but myself, being sure I am pushing myself to the limit as hard as I can.  It's my run.

Mile 18 to 20 was killer.  My friend is fast, he had finished before me.  As I ran down my street to my house, there he was cheering me on as I ran to my own "finish line".  At that moment, I felt great.  I could run another 5 if I had to!  Well, that was my mind talking, not sure my body would agree.  As we limped to my car, thirsty and sore (did I mention sore?) so I could drive him home, we decided we could do this marathon.  We just survived an uphill run in mid day hot sun with minimal water.  We could manage the full marathon, right?  Yes, we will.  This will be his first, my third.  That part doesn't matter though, it's his run. It's my run. I look forward to him recognizing that it's not only about finishing the marathon, it's the accomplishment of being committed to preparing for this race, pushing your body, and achieving something great for yourself.

You don't have to run a marathon to get this high that I describe.  You only have to find something in your life you have a passion for and push yourself.  Take yourself a little beyond your comfort zone.  That could mean adding a mile to your run each week, submitting your writing to a publisher, taking your screenplay and making it real, sharing your talents at a conference for writers, artists, etc., opening your own business doing what you love,  signing up for a special interest class, hosting a party, or allowing yourself to open up to others. 

Take the plunge.  Push yourself to the limit.  Not only share with others what you are about, but open yourself up to you.  Be proud of you.  Be confident in you.  You have your dreams, your goals.  Take them to the next level.  It's an amazing journey in mind and body.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a Perfect World, would fate lead us to our one true love?

Taking Care of Mommy

Already finding imperfections with my blogging skills!!