Could It Be Love at First Text?

Could we be swaying away from the days of love at first sight?  The times when two peoples' eyes catch one another's and time stansd still for a long time.  During the standstill of time, each person processes the other beautiful person and sizes up the possibility for love. I hope not as that moment when eyes lock is a moment in time filled with excitement, hope, and lust.  A feeling I have experienced and hope to experience over and over again.

But, we do live in a new age where technology has opened up new possibilities for communication.  Trust me, I welcome this!  If it were not for texting, emailing, and Face Book, I'd be one isolated single parenting chick.  I've said it before, technology has allowed me to connect and communicate with new and old friends.  Technology has even gotten me into the dating scene through sites like Match.com, however without much success.  I may be way to judgemental for online dating!

I do wonder if it is possible we are learning to adapt to this new, convenient way of communicating?  Is texting now a way to have a conversation rather than a quick way to send a reminder or a "hello, I'm thinking of you?"  It seems like it.  I've had many a deep conversation through texts, Face Book Messaging, and email.  Certainly a helpful technique for someone who feels she is better able to express herself through writing rather than talking at times;)

I started pondering this after a rather intimate conversation with the HP Support Guy for my new printer.  Imitate may be too strong of a word, but in the world of online support, I'd describe today's conversation as "intimate".  I say this because somehow by the end of our conversation, this HP Support Guy had decided I was a kind and humble person and wanted to tell me that.  A compliment?  Sure.  However, I had to ask myself how would he have gotten that out of our online conversation?  Was it my signature smiley face at the end of most sentences?  Was it that I remembered to use "please" and "thank you".? Or was it that I added a personal touch in letting him know that he shared the same name as my son, Jack? Was it just innocent flirting to pass the time?Who knows?  It could have all been a fluke really. 

Fluke or not, I actually felt I was having a conversation with a real live person, rather than a machine.  As a society, have we moved towards making these online interactions a little more personal?  It would seem to make sense as we can now pretty much perform any function without the use of a real phone or face to face contact.  Not that I condone this, there is nothing better to me then face to face contact to see, feel, and hear all that one has to say.  But when face to face contact is not possible, a personalized text conversation could be the next best thing.

I welcome you to comment on the use of technology for conversing and/ or the good and the bad of online dating;)



Comments

  1. When texting first started becoming popular I had a hard time imagining myself using it but boy am I a convert! I have teenage nieces and nephews that live across the country and it is how I feel close to them. Not to mention you Becky. Although yes, it is only a substitute to hearing your sweet voice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a Perfect World, would fate lead us to our one true love?

Taking Care of Mommy

Taking some "me" time...should I feel guilty?