A Lesson on Love and Resilience from Ingrid Michaelson's Girls Chase Boys Lyrics

"Girls chase boys chase girls"....You've heard the song, right? A tune with a bouncy beat by Indie-pop singer songwriter, Ingrid Michaelson.  You are likely familiar with "Everybody"..."everybody, everybody wants to love, everybody, everybody wants to be loved."  A favorite of mine with a message so true to so many. "Girls chase boys chase girls" is a must listen on all accounts!  It's certainly been my top iTunes choice for the past week or so.

Today, I'm driving to my new gym to "center myself" through yoga.  The sky is blue, the sun is out, and the air is warmer.  I have my windows down and I'm blasting "Girls chase boys chase girls" on my new Bluetooth device in my car, thinking this is my summer jam.  This is the song everyone has to hear.  I'm loving the beat, feeling good, when finally after days of listening to this same song over and over, the lyrics start to become recognizable to me and they sink in.  .."all the broken hearts in the world still beat.  let's not make it harder than it has to be".

At that moment, I became inspired.  I've had my heart broken a million times over.  Who hasn't?  Really?  Who do you know that hasn't suffered a broken heart?  It's part of being a living, breathing, feeling human being.  Our hearts will get broken.  Boyfriends will break them, girlfriends will break them, parents, siblings, spouses will break them...the list goes on.  We will all suffer heartbreak in our lives.  Our children will suffer heartbreak in their lives.  We all probably know someone right now who is working on mending their own broken heart.

Listening to "all the broken hearts in the world still beat", I thought what simple, yet crucial words of meaning.  It's a perfect mantra to impermanence which I've come to know as, "this too shall pass".  No feeling or emotion or pain is permanent, it is only temporary and will pass.  My heart has been broken by boyfriends, friends, and a spouse and my heart does still beat.  I found this simple piece of wisdom so true.  I started thinking about the vast amount of broken hearts in the world.  I thought my own son will someday have a broken heart to mend and I am going to allow him to feel the pain and the hurt, but also gently remind him that "all the broken hearts in the world still beat".  I'll let him feel "a little let down, but he won't be dead" as Michaelson reminds us in her current hit. 

She goes on to sing, "I got two hands, one beating heart, and I'll be alright, I'm gonna be alright".  It's true because experience tells me that.  If you've followed my blog, you've been opened up to some of my heartbreak, but I sit here able to share my story because I do have "two hands" that are meant to type a story that others can relate to and I have a "beating heart", a big bleeding heart really.  However, my bleeding heart has become one of my attributes.  It's helped me to set out on a mission to reach out to others, share their pain, hear their stories, and help them recognize they are not alone.  None of us are.  We have more in common than is apparent from the outside.

Heartbreak hurts, yes.  It's probably a larger pain than any physical pain I've experienced.  However, if mended with care and kindness, a broken heart can make each of us a little bit stronger.  A little bit wiser.  A little bit more empathetic.  A little bit more forgiving.  A little bit more real.  With this in mind it rings true that despite heartbreak, "with two hands, one beating heart, I'll be alright".  We'll all be alright.  Girls will always chase boys who will chase girls which means hearts will break, but hearts can mend, souls can strengthen.  Don't be afraid to open your heart again, be proud that it can reopen and touch lives of others in a so many different meaningful ways and allow your heart to be touched again and again, even with the risk of heartache because I've learned, "you'll be okay, you can be okay".  This is a lesson I will pass onto my son, even as my heart will break a little each time his gets broken.  This wisdom will ensure that he gets a little bit stronger, wiser, empathetic, forgiving, and real.

So...please treat your ears to a good tune, "Girls Chase Boys", if anything for the good beat, but hopefully the lyrics will make you reflect a bit too on your own heartbreak and what you've learned and become because of it.  Be empowered.:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a Perfect World, would fate lead us to our one true love?

Taking some "me" time...should I feel guilty?

Taking Care of Mommy