Taking Care of Mommy

Another weekend full of bustling activity comes to an end.  Today's trip was one to Dracut, MA to visit dear friends.  As we head home in the car this afternoon, Jack takes a snooze, the windows are down, and the music is on.  I feel relaxed as there is nothing else I could be doing at that moment other than focus on the road, sit back, and step on the gas pedal.

Of course, upon driving into the driveway of home, activity stirs up again.  Jack awakes.  Legos are waiting to be played with.  Bags are ready to be unpacked. Laundry needs to begin.  Relaxation for the moment gone.  Time to unpack, think about making dinner, conjure up lunch for the next day, and put away clean, folded laundry.  I am on the move, appreciating every moment Jack plays Legos by himself so that I may straighten up the house that looks rather worn after a weekend of play.

As I put away clothes in my room, I hear the pat pat pat of a little boy's feet climbing the stairs with intent.  His steps are slow and methodical  I step towards my bedroom door as Jack rounds the corner, holding with two hands, a paper cup fill with water.  "Here is a drink for you Mommy.  I thought you deserved it and I didn't want you to get dehydrated."  The interaction ends with a smile from Jack and a hug from a grateful mommy.

I put down the clothes, I stop in my tracks, drop down to my knees to be eye level with this dear, dear boy.  I take that paper cup of water and savor every sip.  I stop for the moment.  I forget about the bags, the lunches, and the laundry.  I am here.  Kneeling here.  Eye to eye with my son.  My boy who in getting his mother a drink also slowed her down from her whirlwind of getting the house in order.  This boy, my boy knew what I needed.  A moment of peace, serenity, a moment that I had given up upon driving into the driveway.  A moment now returned where I can relax and be.

Children.  They bring us back to the moment.  Take advantage.  Be grateful.

Comments

  1. So glad you had a great weekend! Jack obviously has a caring and nurturing heart, just like his mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes. I was told they were both dehydrated last week at school. Such vocabulary these boys.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a Perfect World, would fate lead us to our one true love?

Already finding imperfections with my blogging skills!!