I Used to Know All of My Friends' Numbers By Heart: A brief commentary on an attachment to an Iphone.

In response to a text just this morning, I wrote, "Who's this?  I've lost all my contacts.  Remember when we use to know everyone's phone number by heart" The text back responded with, "yeah I do" as well as a  name I knew well, another good friend's number to add to my new list of contacts on my phone.

Over the weekend, "technology savvy" me inadvertently erased everything from her brand new iphone 5 with a click of the wrong button. My only intention was to download some songs from iTunes, not void my phone of phone numbers, emails, calendar events, to do lists, and apps.  But that's what happened and as I sat at the kitchen table looking at the screen on my phone looking back at me with the icon for iTunes and a picture of my phone cord, I panicked.  My phone's screen wouldn't change no matter what button I pressed.  It was frozen. It was stuck. A groan traveled from the deep depths of my pounding heart, up my throat, and out my mouth.  This CAN'T be happening.  My phone.  My lifeline.  My GPS.  My personal assistant.  My not to mention recent $200.00 purchase because I couldn't settle for iphone 4, you know the "free upgrade".

Time was not on my side.  It was 7:29 AM.  I had to be out of the house at 7:30 AM to pick up Jack from his Dad's, feed him breakfast, and get him to the baseball field for his last game of the season at 9:00AM.  My head filled with fear.  How would I manage all this without my iphone?  REALLY.  REALLY.  Yes, really and I am embarrassed to say I got this upset.  This upset all over my frozen iphone 5.  My phone that has literally become another appendage on my body.  My phone that is constantly by my side.  My phone that holds all the information of my life.   The loss of use of my phone sent me spiraling into a foul mood.  The kind of mood that puts you in a state of annoyance and hatred for the stoplight that isn't kind enough to stay green until you pass under it, for the car driving the speed limit in front of you on the highway, for the Dunkin Donuts that is out of French Vanilla Coffee. 

Finally, on my ride to the Jack's Tee Ball Game, it hit me.  What would I be doing 10 years ago?  Certainly not pouting over a piece of technology.   Ten years ago I may not even have had my phone with me on the way to Jack's game.  Five years ago, I used printed maps from MapQuest.  One year ago, I used a paper calendar.  Now my Iphone is the holder of all of this information.  So on one hand, a frozen Iphone warrants a reaction similar to mine, but on the other hand, it brings to light how much we rely on technology.  And I do rely on technology. Big time. 

So the question I found myself pondering was, 'is all this healthy'?  Was it healthy to be so attached to one's phone?  Well, I am not so sure.  True the phone is convenient.  It holds it all including all my friends' phone numbers that I no longer have to remember.  It's an amazing tool, however on the other hand it's a huge distraction.  My phone gives me access to so much; the internet, mail, texts, Face Book.  It's like one stop shopping.  However, even with shopping, I've learned it's best to do things in moderation. Is that possible though?  With Iphones and smartphones that can do just about anything and are attached to us all the time?

I know I am not alone here.  Phones are out everywhere.  People are talking on the phone while they are driving, texting while waiting in line, or checking out the latest status on Face Book in between responsibilities at their jobs.  It's great that we can gain access to so much with this little machine at the end of our fingertips.  But on the other hand, is it too much access at one time?  Do we run the risk of becoming overloaded with information, or overwhelmed with making sure we respond to each and every person who texted, commented, or liked a post.  Where has our private time gone if it's now filled with access to others via email, texts, and Face Book.  Where has our downtime gone if we're staying tuned into work emails on our day off?  Where has our modesty gone when we are constantly posting pictures of ourselves out and/ or reporting our workouts on our status?

Maybe all of this is okay.  Maybe it's just "part of the times".  It certainly isn't a bad thing, but is it an overused thing? I don't have the answers.  I really don't and I can promise when I am done with this piece I'll be checking my phone for text messages because that is what I've grown into the habit of doing.  Checking my phone throughout the day for the latest communications.  And if all of this is simply okay, than let's not forget it's also okay to shut the phone off when you go to bed or to leave it in the car when you go for that hike.  Cutting the phone out is not an option, at least not for me.  But moderation?  Well, that's something to work on.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this and PLEASE if you haven't done so already, PLEASE text or message me your number as I really did inadvertently erase them from my phone with no hand written address card to go to for back up:/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a Perfect World, would fate lead us to our one true love?

Taking Care of Mommy

Taking some "me" time...should I feel guilty?