Keep An Eye On Your Dreams

"Keep An Eye On Your Dreams", Stephen Edward Blevins
 
 
"Keep an eye on your dreams", a quote I've heard and read time and time again.  The author, Stephen Edward Blevins is my Dad.  The best words or wisdom do not always come from a book or a movie, or an ancient philosopher.  My words to live by came from my Dad.
 
"Keep an eye on your dreams" is a quote I've heard since forever ago. Since being in elementary school and hoping and wishing Santa would deliver the newest Cabbage Patch Doll under the tree and in high school when as early as my Freshman Year, I just wanted to move to Boston as soon as I graduated, I didn't care which college, just get me to Bean Town (city girl at heart)!  Once I moved out of the house (to Boston of course), this quote became the tag line at the end of every email  and every phone call shared with my Dad.
 
Did I get the Cabbage Patch Doll?  Yes, complete with red hair, freckles, and the name Zoe Maude.  Did I get to Boston? Yes, spent 7 glorious years there obtaining my  Bachelor's and Master's Degree.  And I've gone on to land other dreams I've kept my eye on such as becoming a school counselor, having a child, and running a marathon (or two).  With the exception of the Cabbage Patch Doll, these dreams didn't just happen.  Keeping an eye on your dreams involves much more than thinking and wishing for something good to happen.
 
As I've gotten older and continue to strive towards new goals, I've come to interpret, "Keep an eye on your dream" a little bit differently than when I was a grade school girl just wishing and hoping for good things to happen.  Keeping an eye on your dreams means having a vision, a goal, something to work towards.  That's just it, you  have to work towards it.  Many things do not just happen.  The work can be fulfilling, fun, sometimes easy.  However, as many of us know, the work often comes with challenge, struggle, and strife.
 
The challenge, the struggle, and the strife can get you down sometimes and during those times, the quote, "keep an eye on your dreams" can bring on a little sarcasm, an eye roll, some tears, foot stomping,  maybe even a "whatever".  And my Dad, my Dad who never gives up, has of course been the recipient of all of these reactions.  My Dad never gives up.  And to this day, at age 35, my emails from him still end with "keep an eye on your dreams".  And to this day, I take  his advice. 
 
I credit his words with giving me the strength and motivation to keep moving ahead even when it's 4 steps forward, 3 steps back.  Each step forward is progress no matter the length of the step.  I remember his words when it seems like life is just falling on top of me.  I dig my way out with a dream in mind.  My dream is constantly in motion, evolving as I grow and learn.  The dreams can shift and change, take years to get to, but in the end it isn't it the process of reaching the goal that is the most important time for growth, learning, and understanding?
 
As you go out into the world, "keep an  eye on your dreams".  I believe it is this philosophy that keeps you moving forward, helps you reach your potential (which is likely more than you think), and gives you a sense of fulfillment.  These words have helped me build the life I live and the life my son, Jack lives.  As I reflect on the dreams I've had over the years and the ones in motion now, I recognize a common theme.  I simply want to pursue happiness.  Happiness for me.  Happiness for Jack.  Happiness for those I come in contact with. 
 
Who knew words could have such an impact?  As we raise our children, teach our students, guide our mentees, do not forget this.  The most common, simplest of phrases can have a big impact.  When these words or phrases are repeated over and over again throughout time, they can begin to stick, become a mantra of sorts.  It was this simple phrase, "keep an eye on your dreams" that has guided me from point A to point B to point C and so on.  It is this simple phrase that my mind automatically shifts to when I am feeling suffocated by home repairs, a preschooler with tantrums, unruly students or plagued by anxiety, sadness, loneliness, or jealousy.  It is this phrase, "keep an eye on your dreams" that brings me back in control of my life, out of negativity and into productivity, a place where problems have solutions and the little things don't need to matter so much.
 
Thank you Dad for the wisdom that has guided me to lead a happy life.  Happy Father's Day!
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a Perfect World, would fate lead us to our one true love?

Taking Care of Mommy

Taking some "me" time...should I feel guilty?