Grandparents

Be grateful for YOUR Grandparents and YOUR CHILDRENS' Grandparents...

First of all I recognize that not everyone has the luck I have of wonderful parents and grandparents.  BUT if you do,  if your parents/ grandparents are great, good, or mediocre...be grateful, honor them.

I recently lost my last living grandparent, my Grammie Evelyn on my Dad's side.  I had the most amazing Grandmothers, Evelyn and Emma.  I admired them and aspire to be half of all that they were.  Strong, gracious, tenacious, women who gave a lot and didn't take much back.  They were the matriarchs of our families.  They held this position with grace, love, and laughter.

One Grammie, your more traditional type, the other, rather untraditional, however both women I learned from to love, give, and enjoy life.  I miss them all the time and wish I told them more when they were alive how much they meant to me.  I didn't.  I enjoyed every minute with them and told them I loved them, but I never verbalized to them the lessons I gained from being around them.  I never thanked them for the most wonderful gifts they gave me, life lessons.

Grammie Emma taught me to continue on, especially when life throws a hard ball your way.  She taught me to accept others' differences and to love unconditionally.  She taught me to give out acts of kindness as often as possible and that there is no need to gain acknowledgement for those acts.  I remember the time she gave away her coin purse to a waitress who commented on how much she loved the change purse.  My Grammie Emma emptied the purse right there in the restaurant and sent my brother with it to find our waitress so he could give it to her.

Grammie Evelyn taught me the skills of nurturing others through her lifetime career as registered nurse.  I watched her nurse her second Husband, my Gramps through his struggle with diabetes.  She never winced once.  She made it part of their lives to help him live a comfortable, full life all the way to the end.  I watched her embrace each one of us grandchildren and great grandson with open arms and encouraging words every time she saw us.  She also taught me how to have fun.  Always egging me on to do an act of mischief, especially if it were going to end with a lot of laughs.

I am a lucky girl to have had these two women as role models.  And now I am doubly lucky as my son, Jack has his Grammie and Grampy (my parents) in his life in a BIG way to learn from and be loved by.

I am grateful for my grandparents.  I am grateful for my son's grandparents.

XOXO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a Perfect World, would fate lead us to our one true love?

Taking Care of Mommy

Taking some "me" time...should I feel guilty?